DOMAINE MADELEINE’S DOUBLE VANILLA BLUEBERRY FREEZER SCONES
Freezing these scones relaxes the gluten in the flour making them more tender, and allowing them to rise higher. It also chills the fat which makes the scones flakier.
Ingredients for 8 to 12 Scones:
- 2 3/4 cups organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold organic butter cut into dice
- 1 to 2 cups dried organic blueberries
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons crushed organic vanilla
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup organic half and half
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
2. Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it’s OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.
3. Stir in the crushed vanilla and add in the blueberries.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and half and half.
5. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.
6. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat (or other silicone) baking mat. Scrape the dough onto the baking sheet and divide it in half. Round each half into a 6″ circle about 3/4″ thick.
7. Using a moistened chef knife, divide each circle into 4 or 6 wedges and separate them slightly.
8. Place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes if baking right away or until frozen for storage.
9. When ready to bake: do not preheat oven. Bake from frozen at 325° F for 20 to 25 minutes, turning sheet halfway through, until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. The finished scones are shown in this photo of our boxed breakfast. You can serve them with butter or jam, and they are perfect with coffee or tea.